Thursday, March 29, 2007

Rambling

I don't expect this post to be terribly coherent as my brain doesn't seem to be up for work which is why I'm here. I noticed that I spelled chaos wrong yesterday. My head hurts a lot today.

I read a news story about some violence that had occured in an apt. building and there was a comment from someone whose father lives in the building that said "I was surprised something like this would happen here because there are a lot of good people in this building,". The number of good doesn't really matter though does it? Just one bad one will do it. A little yeast leavens the whole bread.

My brain is going over kindergarten stuff. I don't think there is a 'wrong' answer to which one to send James to. They are both good schools. Here are my thoughts on both. I'm hoping writing them down will help me sort things out. Any feedback would be great. Especially from Marlene, as she went to one of the schools.

Rideau P.S.
-3 kindergarten classrooms - they are smallish rooms but with a community feel to them. the kindergartens and grade 1s seem to have their own play area for recess and it looks well supervised and safe
-lots of young people seemed to be aiding (maybe they were placement students?)
-they have before/after care which could help depending on my class schedule
-this is within walking distance from our home (1/2 hour with James) and from Queen's (though he would probably be able to get on a bus route as well)
-their french immersion goes to gr.6 but the school goes to gr.8
-the principal is very organized and insists that manners be used at all times
-the school has nice high ceilings and big windows for a light effect
-has a library and lots of resources
-500 students total

Marlene's school
-I loved the kindergarten classroom. It is very large with lots of different centers.
-the school itself seemed packed to overflowing with lots of things in the halls because they wouldn't fit in the lockers. the lockers looked like they had seen better days.
-he would have to take a bus, but our next door neighbours go to the same school so they could help him on the bus.
-their french immersion goes to gr. 8
-the principal jamie was great. very laid back with the kids.
-300 students

2 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, March 29, 2007, Blogger Calia77 said...

So true - it just takes one. It just takes one to cause a stir. It just takes one for the devil to twist, to use, to stir up and muddy the puddle.

 
At 10:05 PM, March 29, 2007, Blogger dawna said...

hi aphra... based on what you've said, it sounds like you prefered the rideau public school. and in my experience, it's really handy to have a school within walking distance. good luck in making your decision.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home