Sunday, September 19, 2010

3 young men

In Kingston there have been 3 young men who died under rather mysterious circumstances. The geographic area of their deaths is pretty small.
Joe G. died on a November night a number of years ago. How he ended up dead in the water was never determined.
This past August, a young Greek boy- 2nd year at Carlton, I believe- died when his car mysteriously accelerated and flipped on King St. instead of making the turn up Beverly st. to his home. This was 4am. It is unlikely if they'll ever figure that out as the impact killed him.
This past week a young Queen's student fell out of a window at the residence at some point in the night/early morning (he was found at 6am). If you take a look at the windows, they are very difficult to 'fall' out of. Mysterious and showing the fingers of evil really.

On a completely different note, I felt God bring me up short today as I had not been praying for the municipal elections. I'm way more about people than politics. But politics at its heart is about people, even though it often doesn't seem that way.

On yet another note, I went to a baptist church today that I had visited once before. Last time, I arrived too early and had to stand awkwardly until the minute before the service started when everyone went down to the room. I much prefer slipping into a seat and waiting. So this time I arrived later- maybe 30 seconds before they did the group movement downstairs. So this was better for me in that I did not need to stand for long. In fact I saw James who used to go to Rustle (he was wearing glasses so I didn't recognize him at first). I asked him if he had moved. But he still lives on Rustle St., just goes elsewhere to church. Whatever makes a person grow the best, I'm all for them going there!
Anyway, because I stopped to talk to James by the time I got downstairs, most people were seated. And they all sat in the back rows. So, that meant that I had to sit conspicuously at the front. I really would rather fade into the woodwork but that was not happening today. So, after the service the Pastor greeted me thinking it was my first time. I explained that I live a few blocks away and had been there once before, so I wasn't totally new. He seemed surprised and said something like maybe he was away. And I said, no you were speaking. This threw him off a bit. But I can understand if you are speaking you may be so focused on that that you don't notice people. It really didn't bother me. They always have pizza after the evening service and so he, being polite, made sure to invite me. I had to decline and the reason I gave him (though I don't believe he was still listening, which was good!) was "I don't eat". Which is obviously not true. I don't like to eat with other people. But as he really wasn't listening anymore I didn't need to explain my misspeakedness.
I was quite nervous going to a new place (even though I had been there once before) but it was very good for me to go. The message was excellent- on the will of God and prayer. The speaker was named Chris and he talked about how there was a geographic will of God (where should I live? what should my career be? He included prayers for healing in this)- these have no specific answers in the Bible but we are encouraged to pray for them. He said another category of the will of God was the moral will of God and this is what is found in the Bible. Prayers for this would include prayers of repentance and to be more holy and more like Jesus. He suggested that a lot of prayers tend to be dedicated to the geographic will of God, which is important but not as important as the moral will of God. Thoughts?

1 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, September 21, 2010, Blogger rab said...

As one who has been obsessed with determining the will of God in the minutia in the past, I tend now to try to focus on the latter. I think there has been an unhealthy emphasis on "being in the will of God" in many church circles. And of all the means of determining His will, we tend to put a lot of emphasis on "sensing" the will of God, which often translates to knowing God's will by how we feel. We could probably stand to pay more attention to the moral will of God as revealed in scripture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home