Sunday, February 03, 2008

Listening

Today Brandon talked about listening to God during his sermon. Often we have lot to say to God, but don't spend a lot of time listening. That may be because when we listen we may not like too much what God has to say! He has a way of challenging us! But He also likes to make sure we know we are loved, so it is really a good thing to listen.

I had a friend a while ago and I felt God told me some stuff to tell her. And I told her but not in a 'this is what God is saying' sort of way- I just brought it up in conversation. It was fairly obvious that she didn't want to listen to what I was saying. I tried a number of times and gave up in frustration. I don't know if she wasn't ready to hear or if I just couldn't communicate clearly so she could hear, so I gave up on the friendship. (Though I think if I told her that this is what God was saying to her, I didn't want to do that- but maybe if that's how she hears, that's the language I should have spoken?)

This past week I have been listening to God while playing the soundtrack to the movie "Flashdance". I know that sounds corny (Barbara don't disown me!) but while I was listening I felt God saying that this is me. Not that I'm the movie Flashdance! No, no. But that I am a light fragrance to Him. That we are all different fragrances to Him but that I don't need to hide who I am or pretend to be anything else because it's just the way He made me.

4 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, February 03, 2008, Blogger Bar L. said...

I love what God is telling you - I think He wants us all to realize that but very few people (including me) seem to take it to heart. He made us the way we are....each of us our own unique selves...and he loves us just as we are...but so often we don't think we fit in or are good enough or whatever, so we pretend. WOW. That's so true. It took me forever to just be me, and I still wonder sometimes if its "okay" or if I should try to be different. Thanks for this post. Don't know if my comment made sense but you probably get it :)




PS Don't worry, everyone loves the soundtrack to Flashdance if they admit it or not!

 
At 7:50 PM, February 03, 2008, Blogger rab said...

I remember how scandalized my big brother's girlfriend was when (as a teenager) she found me reading my Bible while listening to Led Zeppelin (or something like that). Didn't seem incongruous at all to me.

When it comes to hearing God telling me to speak to others on his behalf, I try to be pretty cautious. Dangerous, heady stuff. A lot of potential for me getting in the way of the communication. I have been at both ends of that one. Can be a blessing but...

 
At 4:20 PM, February 04, 2008, Blogger Calia77 said...

I hear what you're saying about the friendship fading. I think not being able to listen to someone - even if you don't agree with them - is a big sign that something's not right in the relationship. I've been going through something similar - and this person has, as long as I've known her, expected me to listen to her and her opinions, but my opinions (or almost anyone else's, for that matter) - don't matter.

And I love it when God speaks to me through the things that are supposed to be 'secular'. If God is Creator of all, then everything is sacred and holy (though it can be misused and that's sinful). Enjoy Flashdance! What a feeling!

 
At 10:06 PM, February 08, 2008, Blogger swilek said...

I remember being at the U2 concert a couple of years ago in Toronto and having a total God moment!! It was excitng to be praising God along with Bono...it was powerful! I know you may be used to singing "secular songs" at Next and Rustle, but coming from my Baptist church where most of my friends wouldn't get the God moment I had at the concert, it was a very cool experience!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home