Sunday, October 12, 2008

Relating

When I first started going to Next (over 10 years ago) I remember Gary coming up to me and telling me I had to be more proactive about joining conversations. Now, he was probably right BUT it didn't bother me one bit not to be in the conversations. I don't mind standing on the outside. I probably prefer it. I know he was just trying to help, but by saying that to me, it just pushed me more into my shell, because now I knew that I also looked odd not being in the conversations. Some people are introverts. It happens. And that doesn't mean that they aren't happy where they are!

We have a tendency to have a cookie cutter approach to people. We need to dig deep to find the real people before making assumptions. People's surface is generally not enough to let you know who they are. We need to live beneath the surface.

But I do also think that it is important for me so stretch outside my comfort zone box. As Michelle said, it's not that I don't have the skills (because I have to do relational stuff at work, I CAN do it). But I always battle against shyness in the real world.

One of Myron's game friends added me as a friend on facebook. This caught me a bit off guard as I've never spoken to him. The weird thing about this facebook thing is that the people don't really need to be your friends do they? I have a number of 'Aphra''s that I am friends with on facebook only because their names are 'Aphra' so I suppose have a friend who is 'myron's game friend' would be about an equal to that.

1 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, October 12, 2008, Blogger Bar L. said...

Great point about how we are not all the same! The cookie cutter approach is great for cookies but not people :)

I have a ton of facebook friends that are really friends of friends or bloggers...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home