Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Well

On my way in this morning, my mind was playing U2 "The first time" that Mady and Paul sang on Sunday and I was thinking about how a lot of times we (as a general community)don't support one another in love. I think Rustle on the whole is very supportive, but Rustle isn't a very ordinary community. A lady was telling me about how some Christian organizations dumped her because she married a divorced man. How is this helpful? How is this supportive? Seems more controlling than anything to me.

As I arrived at work, I realized that this all tied in with what Al talked about on Sunday- loving well. And as I was writing, I realized that in the past week there was a discussion on - if you love someone and they are in (what you perceive to be) sin), is it not your loving responsibility to alert them to this? So everything seems to be tying together in my head at least!

So, going back to my example, maybe these people thought they were being loving by alerting her to the "sin". But she did not feel it was a sin, so she still married him. Should she have been removed from ministry as she did not repent of the sin? It is really a tricky spot to be in when the dividing line for what is 'sin' is being marked. Do we differentiate big sins and small sins- well, it's ok to be in ministry if you have small sins, but not big ones? One person in the discussion last week indicated that it should be about attitude. But it might be hard to have the 'correct' attitude towards sin, if you disagree with the demarkation lines of what sin is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home