Thursday, February 07, 2008

It's not about you

When I have disappointing times with people, I'm generally good about not taking it personally. I think maybe they are having a bad day, or they had a bad childhood or whatever. I'm pretty good at depersonalizing bad situations.

But good situations, when people say good things about me. I take that personally much more easily, because it feels nice I suppose. But a day or so ago when something transpired and I felt good, I felt the Holy Spirit nudging me, that what the person was seeing was Jesus in me, so the compliment was really for God! It's not about me. I am glad to bring glory to His name, but I know it's not me- it's Him flowing through me.

We had a prayer meeting at Rustle last night. I think prayer meetings are important for a number of reasons: that it is important that believers participate in corporate prayer, that it is important that new believers learn how to pray being the main 2.
Henri and Karen and I are a three fold cord- we pray very well together and are very well balanced. But there is always a risk when you have a good safe environment to think this is where I want to stay. But God is always moving and stretching us so that is relatively unlikely!
So lat night there were the 3 of us + a guy who had come to church on Sun. after having been released from jail. He doesn't have a home, he's staying with friends. He has some sort of evangelical background as he knows a lot of flowery talk, though I'm not sure how practically it is showing up in his walk. He seems like a very sweet guy. A bit misguided but sweet, so it was a bit of work to keep the prayer meeting on track. But it seemed to go well and we all prayed together. He made Karen and Henri a bit jittery, I think. When he went out for a cigarette, I wondered aloud how he knew about the prayer meeting and Henri hissed at me "You ANNOUNCED it". Oh, right, it was indeed my fault! I am glad he came. Glad he had somewhere to go in the evening. Glad we were able to pray with him.

1 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, February 07, 2008, Blogger Calia77 said...

Ah yes, that moment when God intrudes on our cosy lives and puts the 'difficult' people into our paths. How we handle them is a witness to God's love.

I know I could handle many people a whole lot better than I do. I wish I could be all-embracing of them, welcome them with open arms like Jesus would. But I don't seem to be able to.

I hope He learnt more about God through his time praying with your group.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home