Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Listening II

Bob made this comment on the last post and I have been thinking about it:

When it comes to hearing God telling me to speak to others on his behalf, I try to be pretty cautious. Dangerous, heady stuff. A lot of potential for me getting in the way of the communication.


I agree that it is good to be cautious and good to understand that we do often 'get in the way' a bit because of our personal filters. We can take what we are hearing and interpret it in our filters and it might come out not quite right. BUT despite us 'being in the way' we are the vessels that God has chosen to use. Why? I don't know, but this is his show. If He tells us to tell someone something and we don't and they get messed up, isn't the blood on our hands? (I think there's a scripture something like that) The Bible also tells us to 'desire the best gifts' (not quite sure what qualifies as 'best' but most of the things Paul seems to be talking about here do involve listening to God)

1 Corintians 12 (Amplified)
28So God has appointed some in the church [[f]for His own use]: first apostles (special messengers); second prophets (inspired preachers and expounders); third teachers; then wonder-workers; then those with ability to heal the sick; helpers; administrators; [speakers in] different (unknown) tongues.

29Are all apostles (special messengers)? Are all prophets (inspired interpreters of the will and purposes of God)? Are all teachers? Do all have the power of performing miracles?

30Do all possess extraordinary powers of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?

31But earnestly desire and zealously cultivate the greatest and best gifts and graces (the higher gifts and the choicest graces). And yet I will show you a still more excellent way [one that is better by far and the highest of them all--love]
.


But if you see yourself as an obstacle to God instead of a conduit then you shut down the ability for God to work through you. Listen to God, it tends to be that one needs to take small steps first- to show we are willing to do the small things before He trusts us with bigger things.

I want to grow closer to Him and be willing to do whatever I think I hear Him saying. I know that I'll be wrong sometimes, maybe a lot of times, but I've got to keep trying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home