Sunday, June 29, 2008

Confidence

I am an introvert and I do not handle new people/new situations with confidence. I find this spectacularly funny since every year I have to meet 600 new students (though they tell me it will be 700 this year, I am waiting for them to tell me about my pay increase yet though...). In the lab, it is easy for me because the students really HAVE to listen to me:)
It surprises me sometimes that people I don't know want to listen to me.
I talked to a new couple at church today and I can hear these tapes playing in my head- keep your talking brief, they have to go now, they don't want to talk to you. But actually we had a very nice conversation that might have been the highlight of my day, and I had a pretty good day!

3 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, July 01, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an introverted-extrovert (self-titled!) with low self-esteem, and am constantly amazed people want to spend time with me. But I'm on the path towards getting help to deal with the latter.

I understand where you're coming from here.

 
At 6:48 PM, July 01, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...okay you've just articulated something I have always thought but only relatively recently consolidated about introverts (me!) it's not about acquiring social skills. it's about choosing to use them. Sometimes we're forced to (like at work) and sometimes we choose to ourselves because it's the socially accepted thing to do in any given situation or we otherwise know we really should.

 
At 9:46 PM, July 01, 2008, Blogger Aphra said...

Thanks for your comments!

You are right Michelle, it's not that I don't have the skills, in certain situations there are just tapes that crop up in my head that limit me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home