Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Dancing

For someone who walks about 5km a day, I thought I was in shape until James and I were dancing to Raffi for about 1/2 hour and it winded me. (not him! he wanted to do it again) So I decided that my sedentary 6 or 7 hours at the computer needs to be broken up a bit and this morning I took 20 minutes and danced to James Blunt. I had some training as a dancer before, but hadn't danced since James' birth. After the c-section I couldn't really walk! And then I always felt that my stomach was so tender. I was probably ready to do this ages ago, though, physically. Maybe not mentally.

Children
We talked about children at a Rustle meeting recently. How during a Church service we could try to get the children redirected if they are getting out of hand. I find this challenging for children I don't really know but for Tara or AJ say I wouldn't have a problem talking to them. But I guess the point of community is that you do know the children (or you get to know them!).

An experience related to this: I was talking with another child's father while James was playing with his child. The father was trying to get his kid to go home. I was not listening to what the kids were saying. But the father stopped and said loudly "James, WHAT did you say?". James imediately clammed up because he's not used to being roared at and was probably assuming that what he had said was wrong, if someone would roar at you. James wouldn't say anything more. The father turned to me and said something about James saying something mean. I said I didn't hear it. But it did surprise me the father's handling of it, only because I never roar, I suppose. Unless he's doing something crazy like about to step into traffic!
So then later when it was just James and I and I was getting him ready for bed I asked him what he had said. He clammed up at first. But then he said that he had said something like "It's time for you to go". Now the tone that he said it with may have been bossy, because he can be like that, and that might have been what the father reacted to. I try to catch James when he's being bossy, because he can be a little dictator when he wants to, and try to alert him to his ways!
Children's discipline styles are different. Maybe some children need roaring. But then you push the envelope and have to roar and roar to get them to take you seriously. I am so glad that James is a lamb. If you explain to him why he shouldn't do something, he generally doesn't repeat it.

3 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, February 21, 2007, Blogger Calia77 said...

I love dancing. Am just about to post something on that.

Kids and discipline in church - we're wresting with that at the moment. WE have about 7 or 8 between the ages of 2 and 12! Tricky. We're trying to provide for them - a kids' talk before the sermon once a month (this month - this Sunday - it's me!). Working it through, seeing where it leads.

Poor James! I'm sure some kids need to be roared at, but James doesn't sound like one of them. He must have been terrified.

 
At 6:56 PM, February 21, 2007, Blogger Bar L. said...

Well I'd like to slap that father up aside the head and call him a creep.
Of course I would NOT do that, but I feel like it.

I love to dance too - but my only training was all the nightclubs I used to hang out. It's great exercise but I only do it if no one is watching.

I know what you mean about a C-section. I still to this day have a numb area right above where they did the incision and that was in Dec. 1990!

 
At 3:16 PM, February 22, 2007, Blogger Aphra said...

The guy wasn't being a creep. He's just a loud and boistrous kind of guy. It's good for James to get some exposure to real life as he's a pretty sesitive kid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home